Friday, November 2, 2007

The Oddest Interview

Yesterday I had what was perhaps the oddest interview I have ever had, save for one I had during the Internet boom in which the barefooted person interviewing me was playing ping pong, likely high and most likely making a six figure salary for doing not too much.

A couple of weeks ago I applied for a job at a big satellite entertainment company where I did some freelance work in between having my two kids. A week ago I was informed that someone from Human Resources would be calling me to conduct a "screening" call. When I asked what type of information I would need ready and how long it would take I was told that I didn't need to have anything ready as it was a background interview and it would be a standard list of questions. Not so.

A very nice woman from the company's HR office in Denver called me with a long list of very specific job interview questions that had been prepared by the person actually doing the hiring in Idaho. As I was answering each of the questions she was typing away at her keyboard, periodically asking me to pause or to repeat things -- which was really awkward. Aside from not getting any body language feedback from the interviewer, I knew my answers would seem flat without my own witty tone. Plus, when I asked for clarification on one of the questions, she said, "Well, I don't want to give anything away."

I really liked my response to one of the questions. The HR rep. said, "This job is described as hectic, busy, requires overtime and some weekends... Describe your current work schedule." To which I replied, "I'm a stay-at-home mom so my schedule is hectic, busy, requires overtime, working weekends -- AND I don't get sick days!"

Of course, I don't get paid either, but I didn't think that would be a good thing to point out. Anyway, wish me luck.

1 comment:

Tasha Kent said...

Great reply!!

I hate the clackety-clack sound of the keyboard in the background when I'm talking. It's annoying and rude.