Monday, December 10, 2007

Barbie Cake & Buns

'Tis the season to bake... and I love to bake -- mostly because I love to eat. Anyway, my latest two attempts were to make homemade hamburger buns and a Barbie cake.

I decided to make the rolls because I had hamburgers, but no buns and I didn't want to go to the store. I'm so glad I tried it... I'll never buy rolls or buns again! It was not only much easier than I thought it would be -- but they were delicious too!

The Barbie cake was really fun. I'm trying to come up with a special cake for my daughter's first Birthday. It's still more than a month away, but I thought it would be fun to at least try it out a head of time. It was really easy to make this version.

I started out by baking a cake in my oven proof batter bowl... it works best to turn the temperature down a bit and cook for longer. I also had to scoop off some of the cake batter that bubbled up in the middle about half way through cooking... that turned out to be a delicious treat with some cold milk.

To decorate, I simply snapped the legs off of a Barbie doll and shoved bamboo skewers up the torso then stuck the whole thing into the cake. I used frosting to decorate the doll's body and cool whip to cover the skirt. I also sprinkled pink sugar on the skirt to try and give it a more ethereal look. I'd like to geta little fancier with the decoration on the dress but the cool whip isn't strong enough to hold any more decor so I will either have to use buttercream-style frosting or try using rolled fondant. I really think the fondant would make the most beautiful cake, but it's a little pricey... so we'll see.

1 comment:

Tasha Kent said...

You can't tease with pictures and claims that 'it was so easy to make' without sharing the recipe.